Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Musk Thistle

Musk Thistle (Carduus Nutans)

Here is the Musk Thistle. I know it has a bad reputation as a pesky weed, but I couldn't help but notice how lovely it looked in my uncles bed of wildflowers.  I had to find my camera to take a few snapshots. 

                              
I've seen Musk Thistle many times before, but I didn't know much about them. After a bit of research, I found that these weeds are biennial, which means it has a lifespan of two years and then it dies. The first year the plants emerge as a cluster of leaves close to the ground and the second year it flowers and spreads its seeds before it dies.  


A bumble bee stopped by to pollinate the Musk Thistle
Resource: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/natres/03102.html

No comments:

Post a Comment